Microsoft Outlook has 400 million users throughout the world and it is this popularity of this app that almost each one of us started using it today. To make it work properly, we need to sync our contacts with the device that we are using. It makes the work very smooth and easy to access from any location. Here, we are going to discuss how you can sync your Outlook contacts with Gmail.
Sync contacts with Gmail
Gmail is undoubtedly one of the most popular email services since forever. It has got 1.5 billion active users from all over the globe. To sync your Outlook contacts with any of the mail providers, you will have to check whether they are using the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. Well, it is therefore good to use Gmail, as it uses the ActiveSync. Here are all the steps that you need to follow to sync your Outlook contact with Gmail. Alternatively you can use third party tools like Share Gmail Contacts and Shared Contacts for Gmail® App and Share Google Contacts App at chrome webstore.
- The very first thing that you need to do is to have the Gmail app on your device. If it is already there on your device, check whether it is updated or not.
- After all of this, you need to register your Outlook account with Gmail. To make this step smooth, make sure that you have a valid Outlook account. If you don’t have one, we would suggest you make it before the process starts. You need to register for it, set it up and need to check on your computer whether it is working or not. Check whether the sync is done properly or not.
- Now, you need to log into your Outlook account from the Gmail app. You will have to use the same credentials you use on the desktop. After that, open Gmail and tap Menu. You can find it by clicking the three horizontal lines on the left side of your Gmail screen.
- After that, tap settings and then add an account. A new page will open up and on this next page, you’ll see a list of email services. This is a list of services that the Gmail app supports. Now, you need to tap on Exchange and Office 365.
Here, you will have to note that you don’t select Outlook, Hotmail and Live. The reason behind this is that these services use IMAP and POP. These are sync protocols that can’t sync contacts or calendars. They are used only to sync email. You can visit the informative article oh How to share Google Contacts Techtimes article.
- After this, type your email address and password on the page that opened.
- It’ll soon start validating server settings. If you get a popup request of Remote security administration, tap OK. After this, complete your sign-in on the next page.
After all, this is done, you will have to check whether your email account is accessing your calendar and contacts or not. To check it, first, go to settings, then the app, permissions and then finally turn on the contact switch to green.
Other ways to sync Outlook contacts
In the previous section, we discussed how we could sync Outlook contacts with Gmail. You will be glad to know that there are other ways too in which you can sync your Outlook contacts with your device. Here, we will be giving short descriptions related to other alternatives.
You can sync your outlook contacts using your iPhone and that too very easily. It might not be done if there are incorrect permission settings or general software issues. These issues could be bugs that stop Outlook from syncing with your phone. On iPhone, you can sync your contacts using features like Settings, iTunes, iCloud, via email, by importing as vCards, or through Exchange.
There are two options to use when you want to sync Outlook contacts with iPads, namely iTunes or iCloud. If one wants to use iCloud on their computer, they can copy contacts to iCloud. After that, they can access them from the iPad. On the other hand, if you are using iTunes, you can sync using iTunes to your iPad.
To you sync your contacts with iCloud, you need to have a PST file on your computer that has all your Outlook profile data. After that, you can import the contacts to iCloud in two parts. You can convert the PST contacts into vCards and then can import the file into iCloud.
These were all how you could sync the Outlook contacts with Gmail and all other possible devices. We have tried to elaborate on the processes for you. If you read it thoroughly, you will realise that it is very easy and could be done all by yourself.